Sunday, May 3, 2009

Day 24 - April 15, 2009


Hello, readers! I have some big news today.

I'll be purposely fertilized via pollination with another plant and my "matchmaker" dried bee. The hair on the bee will trap the pollen, which will transfer between us two plants. However, over the course of my stay among the other Brassica Rapa plants, some pollen has been unavoidably distributed into my early blossoms. What does that mean, you ask? Well, that means that the some pollen has met the eggs in my ovules and they developed into plant zygotes. From there, my flowers were double-fertilized -- meaning that a second grain of pollen fused with the polar nuclei. This forms an endosperm nucleus.
Within each pod (matured fertilized flower), this fertilization occurs to about 5-20 seeds. With each seed with my pods, they'll mature and develop into seeds with a plumule. This contains the apical bud with the meristem and the two food-storing (from the endosperm) cotyledons. The nutritious wall of the ovule will also help coat my seeds... I'm going to be a parent!
There's also going to be chemical inhibitors in my seeds to prevent them from growing until they are leeched away.
Until next time,

B. Rapa

Zygote: A diploid cell which results from the junction of two gametes (male+female). This is also referred to as a fertilized egg.

Polar nuclei: The two nuclei in a [haploid] gamete within the embryonic sac within the ovule.

Endosperm nucleus: A second fertilized nucleus which is used for food for the embryo.

Pod: The name of the vessel that contains the seeds of a plant throughout their development.

Apical bud: The bud found at the tip of the stem. It contains meristematic cells.

Bee Carrying Pollen:

1 comment:

Dalantech said...

When you post images you should use the image code available from sites like Flickr, instead of taking them from the NASA Earth Observatory like you did for this one: https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Features/Bees/Images/bee_pollen_macro.jpg

That is my image, and I gave NASA the right to use it. I did not give you the right to use it, and I'm pretty sure that NASA didn't give you the right to steal their bandwidth by directly linking to it. In the future if you want to use my images then use the embedded html code that Flickr provides. Look to the right hand side of this page:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dalantech/1093856202/in/album-72157600006896128/

Click on the arrow and choose "Embedded".

Regards,
John Kimbler
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dalantech/